Ahhh, the Fourth of July…a day that symbolizes many things to Americans all over this country. Not only is it a time to celebrate the birth of America, but it’s a time of family gatherings, picnics with friends and some good ol’ summer fun.
Being a dog owner, I am not a big fireworks fan, but I enjoy a patriotic celebration like everyone else.
This year, I’m not traveling over the holiday, but am having the staycation of my dreams. With family and friends close by, we’ll be gathering in my yard and enjoying the day in style. If you’re like me and staying at home this year, here are my top 10 tips to enjoy this beautiful Fourth of July.
- Get outside. Whether you’re in the hot, dusty suburbs of Arizona or enjoying the cool, trade winds in Hawaii, no one should spend Independence Day cooped up inside. So, get out there, even for a few minutes to breathe in the beauty and wonder of nature.
- Use blueberries everywhere! As gorgeous as these little berries are, they are equally as healthy. Drop them in a glass of white wine or scatter them in your salad. They make a great topping for that homemade ice cream I know you’re going to make!
- Decorate with red, white and blue bandanas. Check out the DIY here.
- Keep your pets inside when the fireworks start. No matter how much Fido wants to be the life of the party, dogs have a tendency to do things they normally don’t do once they hear the loud booms. Many pets go missing on this holiday; running away, jumping fences to get away from the loud sounds.
- Open your front door to friends, family, or even the new neighbors down the street. The Fourth of July is a family-friendly holiday for everyone and what better time to connect with others.
- Don’t forget your sunscreen or stay in the shade. Days like today have a way of showing their mark on your body long after the fun ends.
- Bring the outside in. If you’re in an area suffering from a heatwave, then you can always bring the freshness of the great outdoors inside. Fresh flowers make a great centerpiece for the table and add life to any stale environment.
- Leave the fireworks to the professionals. Even the tiniest stray spark can ruin your party, your day or even your life.
- Today’s the day to wear that red sundress, your star spangled top hat or American flag t-shirt.
- Tune in to some patriotic, all-American songs! This blogger has a great playlist with something for everyone.
- So, stay safe people and enjoy your patriotic staycation!