The maintenance of the car and how to change the battery of the car is vital to make our car work the right way and avoid unpleasant surprises.
On other occasions, we have referred to the need to have a toolbox with the basics to repair small breakdowns.
One of the most important elements of a vehicle is the battery. It is what will start the engine. It depends on your condition, whether the car starts or not. The batteries have a certain lifetime, so at some point, you will have to change the car battery.
Changing the car battery is not complicated. We can do it ourselves with the right tools and precautions.
Change the car battery in simple steps:
- The first thing we should do is get a new battery. It can help us to look closely at the information that appears on the battery that we have installed, to take a similar one.
- Before starting, you need a set of fixed keys or a wrench, and it would also be useful to have gloves to protect your hands, as the batteries contain acids.
- We also proceed to disconnect the car about ten minutes before to prevent possible electric shock. With the key, you will loosen and remove the negative terminal first and then the positive.
- Next, we use the keys to remove the fasteners that anchor the battery to the car and take out the battery carefully, as it is usually heavy. It must be remembered not to knock it down, or the acids inside may spill finally, we remove dirt from the site with the help of the Multi-Use Product. We have almost finished changing the car battery.
- We place the new battery, and this time we connect the positive terminal first and then the negative one. Just the opposite of when we remove it replace the fasteners and tighten well.
- Being a dielectric product, it will prevent possible short circuits. In addition, it will help keep the terminals clean and protected from moisture and rust.
- We start the car and check that everything works normally. If it does not start, we may not have correctly placed the battery terminals.
- We recycle the old battery in an appropriate place. We must remember that to dispose of batteries, it is not worth throwing them away, but it is important to take them to a clean point.
It’s that simple, and it is to change the car battery ourselves. As we do it more times and have more practice, it will become a very simple part of car maintenance.
Which cable is connected first in a battery?
Regarding the question of which cable is first connected to a battery, the order to follow is as follows. The first cable that connects to the battery is the positive of the auxiliary car. Then the positive of the car is connected with the discharged battery. Then the auxiliary car negative is connected and, lastly, the car negative without battery, taking the precaution of connecting it to iron to prevent a spark from triggering an explosion.
With all the cables connected, it is time to accelerate the auxiliary car engine to 2000 rpm. At that time, you have to activate the contact in the car and, after waiting a couple of seconds, try to start it. The engine must not be forced for more than ten seconds. If it is not possible to start in that period of time, stop and wait for the clamp cables to cool before making a new attempt. Once the vehicle is started, the battery cables must be disconnected in the reverse order of how they were connected. The positive of the auxiliary car is, therefore, the last cable to disconnect.
After the last checks, start the vehicle engine that has the battery charged, speed up a little, and keep it running for a couple of minutes so that the battery charges well. When trying to start the engine of the other cars and truck, this will avoid this battery from overexertion.
After a couple of minutes, switch off the engine of that vehicle and right away try to start the car that has a discharged battery. Speed it up a bit and keep it running for a couple of minutes so that the battery charges a minute when it starts. After starting the vehicle with another battery and taking a trip a couple of kilometers, it would need to recover the charge and not provide anymore issues to reboot the engine.
When the engine starts well, pass the calipers from the vehicle in the reverse order of how they were positioned. Take care not to touch each other or touch any metal part of the cars and truck!
And if it doesn’t start?
If, after a number of efforts, the starter does not have the strength to begin the automobile (or does not even make an effort), inspect if any of the calipers have been launched or do not make great electrical contact. Try once again, but if the issue continues, you will probably need to change the battery for another. It might furthermore be another component of the electrical start of the cars and truck … but then there will be no option to go to a mechanic who examines the electrical starter circuit and the trigger plug circuit.