Happy New Year to you all!
I love tearing off that last page in the calendar. It’s been a year of ups and downs probably for most of us and it just feels good to be able to have a fresh start, doesn’t it?
One of my favorite things to do on New Year’s is what I call, “recalibrate” my life. I like to look ahead with a new blank notebook and write down my goals and dreams for the year. I also like to get back to taking care of myself. I mean, who doesn’t need to tighten things up a bit after all those eggnogs and binge-eating weekends spent with family around the big dinner table, am I right? And unfortunately, our skin is one of the biggest victims of poor eating, over-drinking and of course, the brutal, cold winter air.
This year I took time out on the first day of 2017 to practice a little self-care. I call it my New Year’s Spa Day. It was exactly what I needed to start the year out right. A day just for lounging around in my pj’s and relishing the last few hours of my Christmas decorations before they get taken down. A day to pamper myself and actually reap benefits long into the new year.
My spa day included;
- A hot bath with epsom salts for relaxation and detoxification
- Body scrub to release all those dead, winter skin layers
- Coconut Oil to slather on afterwards – it smells heavenly and is a great way to moisturize without all the added chemicals that many lotions have
- Aromatherapy candles for added relaxation. (Lavender is a great smell to release tension and stress)
- A relaxing Pandora station (optional 🙂 )
- A good book
- Hot herbal tea
- A nap. Sleep is critical in these shorter days of winter. Sleep helps your skin to repair more easily, hence the phrase, “get your beauty sleep”.
Taking care of yourself is the most important thing you can do this year. It’s vital not only for you, but everyone you love. Whether it’s buckling down and making some changes to your diet or setting aside a couple hours a week to just sit on your butt and read a book, self care is critical to keeping you mentally and physically healthy.
Now that I feel more replenished and relaxed, I can dive into my goal setting books and plan a successful and amazing 2017!